Saturday, June 8, 2013
Another Year Older
I recently had yet another birthday. I'm freakin' 38!! The only reason I kinda feel my age is cuz I've kinda gotten fat since I was 35- bummer. But other than that I feel pretty much the same as when I was 25! I had no plans for my birthday really other than hanging with my sister and her family because B, my roommate, was working, and I've spent the last week or so frustrated at my new long lost friend Dusty Bottoms because he's a girl when it comes to his relationship with his non-girlfriend that he's not dating, like my idiot P from several years back was not dating me...anyhow, he's been bugging me and I was trying to avoid hanging with him and his non-girlfriend as their third wheel. Honestly- none of my other friends are sociable or local enough to do anything with.
So, I dressed up in jeans and an old t-shirt, put my hair up in a ponytail cuz it was dirty, and headed off to my sister's to play baseball with my nieces and nephews and their friends. Then my sister tells me we're going to dinner for my birthday so pick someplace kid friendly and not crazy expensive. Breakfast sounded good to me but my suggestions of Village Inn (or as B calls it Vij), Denny's, and IHop were kinda shot down and so we went instead to a local Mexican place where kids eat free on certain days of the week. It was so-so, and then out came the 20 pound possibly lice infested sombrero and the crummy employee musical attempt at a campy Spanglish birthday song that didn't break any copyright laws accompanied by the Mexican tamborine! I can honestly say that there fried ice cream has been the best I've had to date, which says a lot since I've had so many bad versions of it I avoid it like the plague but ate 3 bites of this- partly because I shared it with everyone and that's all I could sneak in for myself. After dinner I headed back to my sister's to hang out for the evening.
And then Dusty Bottoms called and insisted I had to join him for karaoke since he bought me a cake (instead of making the one he promised). I felt really bad when I asked him if he could take it back because after working at a bakery for a while, I'm a total frosting snob and will only eat real butter cream or whipped cream frosting- nothing crisco based like most store bought cakes are frosted with. I did thank him for the nice gesture though. He said he'd take it back but to hurry up and get to karaoke. Then B called to say she was getting off work early and heading home so we should rent a movie. I told her we were going to karaoke instead. An hour later, I was showered, dressed, all dolled up, and had done B's makeup too.
We got to karaoke at around 1030 or 11, and as we walked in, Dusty Bottoms was up singing his guts out. He joined us a few minutes later and introduced us to the little thing named Tresa that was trying to seduce him with her beer and boobs. She then introduced her friend Josephat or Pat. Pat took an instant liking to me and only left my side for a few minutes the entire night.
He's a self admitted jack Mormon manwhore. He was very perplexed about why I'd go to a bar if I don't drink, and then was impressed that I had fun sober, was fun and coy in my refusing his advances and offers, wasn't uncomfortable that a guy who was drinking was talking to me, and then complimented me (I think) by telling me he was surprised at and admired my poise, confidence, sense of humor, and my morals because more uptight 'good girls' had passed his way and given in very quickly or been horribly insulted at his advances, and then went on to tell me if I drank he and I would be friends (to which I corrected him saying he meant he thought we'd hook up for a one nighter, maybe two) and that if things were different with him then things would definitely be different and I'd be an awesome girl to get to know more. He was a fun, happy drunk, playfully persistent, decent looking guy that was not at all vulgar, rude, or crude to me- only tried to grab my butt once and then agreed to my hands off policy, and though a little tipsy (not full on drunk like I just implied) was obviously intrigued and entertained by me if not outright attracted to me, and that was flattering. I appreciate him keeping me company cuz Dusty Bottoms was busy entertaining and mingling with the rest of the bar, and B followed him where ever he went.
Honestly, I'd go hang out with and be friends with happy tipsy Pat at the bar. Because of him, I realized I actually kind of missed hanging out with my non-member friends who were pleasant, light drinkers. So, we stayed till the bar closed down, and then stood in the parking lot visiting with some other people. Dusty Bottoms was making random drunks tell me happy birthday. This short tiny little guy named Rev (think Frodo not a person with a form of dwarfism- he was maybe 4'11" in his little chunky soled boots) comes up and asks me and B if we know where he can get some quality herbs. Well of course we didn't know, so B asked Dusty Bottoms and he didn't even know what Rev was even talking about. I couldn't help but laughing that of all the people this guy could ask in the bar or parking lot, he picks a group of devout Mormons to try to find a pot hookup!
After the bar, B, Dusty Bottoms, and I went for the breakfast I wanted earlier. Our waitress at Denny's was this cute little Mexican girl and somehow or another, she wound up giving me a recipe for her homemade chili rellenos and then gave me free birthday dessert. Then we stood in the parking lot to talk some more, cuz that's what you do. And that is how I came to have one picture from my entire birthday.
I was wearing this cool scarf with my outfit and Dusty Bottoms decided to wrap it around my head and face while I was talking, and called it my burka. Seriously- this is the one moment from the entire day that got memorialized? I had so much fun and yet I somehow feel like I somehow failed.
Labels:
attitude,
awkward,
bars,
birthday,
character judging,
dating,
flirting,
happiness,
introductions,
jack Mormons,
just friends,
LDS midsingles,
self-worth
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



0 comments:
Post a Comment